Thursday, November 15, 2012

Why Speculating Kittens are better than Trade Sharks


by Tony Guo

Every Magic player wants a trade binder loaded with duals, power nine, and standard staples.  Women have purses and red sole shoes to flaunt, Magic collectors have trade binders.  Trade binders act as subtle indicators of status among the magic community.  How does one build a dazzling trade binder?  There are three routes: spend a lot of money; trade like a shark; trade like a kitten.  

Assuming you are not loaded, option one is not viable for most peopleI barely make ends meet week to week.  I have student debts, insurance, car expenses, and a whole onslaught of other "living costs."  Many of my friends have similar financial restraintsBuying pieces of cardboard... probably not the best idea when you are eating ramen.  

 

The other option is to trade like a shark.... this is not a wise long term plan.  It destroys Magic communities as well as your reputation in them.  In the interest of full disclosure, I admit I was a sharkFor me, the negative bitter after taste of knowingly ripping someone off was never worth the small "value" I added to a guilt filled binder.  I am not sure why I continued, even after recognizing how destructive of a process it was.  And unfortunately, sharking has become an accepted practice of "collecting."  

Chas Andres' SCG profile highlights this obsession: "He also traded a pack of Zendikar up to an Alpha Mox Sapphire, which he thinks was pretty freaking sweet."  So ripping off a lot of people was "freaking sweet."  And do not get me started on Jon Medina's ethics.  


My definition of a shark is a person who knows that there is value difference and uses this knowledge gap.  While sharks are initially successful, once they rip enough players off, a strange thing happens.  Players begin protecting each other from the known sharks.  Soon no one in the store will trade with that person. 


What other choice do I have to build up my trade binder?  If I don't have excessive money and I don't want to become a shark?  Well.... become a speculating kitten.  They are cute and have great community reputations.  What's the difference between a kitten and a shark?  

A kitten trades for Sublime Archangel when the card is 15 dollars. Said kitten gives 15 dollars worth of cards for the Sublime.  If the person wants less, a Kitten will notify him or her of the value difference and offer additional cards until the values are equal under whatever website they have decided.  Both sides are happy, because the trade is inherently fair.  Kittening is trading a 15 dollar stock for another 15 dollar stock.  Sharking is trading a 5 dollar stock for a 15 dollar stock. 

When the Sublime becomes 30 dollars (as of the time of this writing it is sold out at SCG at 30 dollars), the kitten celebrates because the price has doubled.  Repeat with Silverblade at 3.50 going to 7, Sigarda at 8 going to 16, Olivia at 5 going to 20, and many more.  

The kitten now trades the "valuable" standard card for legacy or EDH cards.  Being a kitten, they will offer a slight premium since legacy is harder to obtain.  Eventually the kitten will have an incredible trade binder, a good reputation the community, and most importantly many friends who respect the kitten's advice and reputation.  

*Disclaimer... Yes I know I am talking about kittens... and this sounds like some weird Yugioh friendship speech, but I stand by it.

.... how do I know what to invest in?  That's where this website comes in.  I will train you in the art of speculation in the hopes you will use it for good.  I can only hope...    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment