Thursday, March 7, 2013

I am proud to be a shark



Sharking has been the red haired stepchild of the family when it comes to magic.  It has been rejected, ignored, and largely despised by hypocrites who themselves are sharks.  I am here to make the argument that sharking is essential to magic. 

First off, everyone has sharked at least once.  Whether you will admit it or not, that is not my issue.  My point is simple, why do so many people hate something everyone does and they themselves do? 

Honestly, if you have never sharked before you can skip this week’s worth of videos and I’ll make an alternative kitten videos just for you.  

The answer to the question is they don’t hate it.  They only hate when other people do it.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Sharking only exists if a certain percentage of the population does it.  If everyone is a shark then no one is a shark.  MOTL is a perfect example of this principle.

A few months back when I was still new to the tube, I made a kitten speculation about the greatest shark of all time, the person who made pack to power famous.  The video was sort of parody but actually a tribute to this person.  Said person then via twitter and other means reached out to me.  I took down the video on my own accord out of respect for someone who changed the magic scene forever.  What struck me as weird was that here we have the greatest shark of all time and he is embarrassed or at the very least not happy to be labeled a shark.  

Why?  Long time subscribers know that I despise sharks yet I have a tendency to be shark like in nature.  Add to this, a playgroup that includes an mtg ebay expert, a vendor, and a store owner, it is hard for me not to be a shark.  When I was doing speculation to power, it dawned on me that to finish the series I would need to shark.  This realization was met with honesty. 

In December I had less than 20 subs.  I made a video saying that I was a shark.  Content became better because it was more honest.  Now, what I am saying should be clear.  I am still a shark.  Not a nasty shark, but a shark nonetheless. 

This week of videos will be a reckoning of sorts as I finally explain to you what sharking actually is and most importantly how a shark thinks. 

Why am I doing this?  Because I’ve sharked recently and the only way I can make sure I don’t do it again is if everyone has fair warning that I am a shark.  On MOTL everyone knows I’m a shark therefore they are fair game.  I am proud to be a shark.    

No comments:

Post a Comment