Sunday, December 2, 2012

100 dollars to Power, Speculating to Power

By Tony Guo

My last article, speculating to 1G was a little misguided.  I went about it the wrong way.  The main problem was that I did not have any skin in the game.  I had not actually brought the cards.  And perhaps most interesting, I did not really want to buy the cards.  The problem with my model was that there was no flexibility to sell cards back to starcity games, hence there was not the liquidity I needed.  

So... I decided to fix both problems.  Speculating to Power now has two rules, and only two rules.  

1. You may spend up to 100 dollars cash (includes shipping) to buy cards from a big online store.  These are your starting cards you must work with

2. You may not shark when trading.  A dollar or two difference in cards is allowed.  But anything over 20% ruins the speculating nature of this "exercise."  You may also sell cards (obviously not at your lgs store...) for what they are worth. 

And that's it.  Oh the second problem of not having skin in the game is also solved.  I spent 80.63 dollars and my cards will ship tomorrow from the vendor.  I ordered from my favorite place.... They have sublimes for under 20 dollars and Thundermaws for 15, and currently it is a holiday sale.... I always get really sweet deals.  :)  I try to order from them as often as possible.  Ask and I will tell.  

1 FDF  R  Artificer's Intuition (Foil)        $  1.20  $  1.20
  2 9EF  U  Gift of Estates (Foil)              $  1.50  $  3.00
  2 CSF  R  Fury of the Horde (Foil)            $  0.99  $  1.98
  1 TSF  R  Bogardan Hellkite (Foil)            $  1.49  $  1.49
  1 TSF  R  Jaya Ballard, Task Mage (Foil)      $  0.79  $  0.79
  3 TSF  R  Magus of the Disk (Foil)            $  0.79  $  2.37
  2 TSF  R  Magus of the Mirror (Foil)          $  0.49  $  0.98
  1 TSF  R  Mishra, Artificer Prodigy (Foil)    $  0.79  $  0.79
  1 TSF  R  Sedge Sliver (Foil)                 $  0.49  $  0.49
  1 TSF  R  Serra Avenger (Foil)                $  3.99  $  3.99
  2 TSF  R  Spectral Force (Foil)               $  0.49  $  0.98
  3 TSF  R  Stonewood Invocation (Foil)         $  0.79  $  2.37
  1 TSF  R  Tivadar of Thorn (Foil)             $  0.49  $  0.49
  2 SAF  M  Mayael the Anima (Foil)             $  7.49  $ 14.98
 11 AR   M  Maelstrom Nexus                     $  1.25  $ 13.75
  7 AR   R  Wargate                             $  0.45  $  3.15
  1 ZENF R  Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (Foi   $  2.49  $  2.49
  2 M11F R  Leyline of Anticipation (Foil)      $  1.49  $  2.98
  2 AVRF R  Silverblade Paladin (Foil)          $  7.99  $ 15.98
  9 AVR  R  Deadeye Navigator                   $  0.45  $  4.05
  4 AVR  M  Descent into Madness                $  0.49  $  1.96
  2 AVR  R  Soul of the Harvest                 $  0.79  $  1.58
  7 M13  R  Boundless Realms                    $  0.49  $  3.43
  7 M13  R  Faith's Reward                      $  0.49  $  3.43
  2 M13  R  Staff of Nin                        $  0.49  $  0.98


I paid 80.63.  

Let me know how you think I did.  Or ask why I choose X card.  I will let you know once I get the cards.     

2 comments:

  1. It looks like these are all new or modern cards. Is there any point in speculating in vintage or legacy cards? I know it's much slower for an older card to pick up steam since everyone knows about it. Perhaps those are better called an investment in this game. Problem is I never really buy any of the new cards and stopped playing around the Tempest cycle. I love the vintage art and style so much better. The only problem is I cannot afford mox's, time walk's, etc.

    I love the model though for this game to cap it at $100 and see what happens. Ever thought about getting together a group of people that you locally play with to do this? You could have it just for pride, but the one who makes the greatest percentage profit could get a nice prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent question Scott.

    I would say vintage and legacy don't move that easily. When you are doing something of this nature, you really are trying to speculate what the next big thing is.

    Actually, I posted on youtube, and there seems to be some interest. I think the group idea is much better. And there is a lot of pride... lol...

    But the cards I mostly picked up are EDH. EDH has significant upside when I compare it to standard or legacy.

    While legacy is safe, it would take forever to speculate to a piece of power.

    ReplyDelete